Microsoft sets DLC pricing

Last post 05-20-2009, 7:17 PM by Xx Masterful xX. 35 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (36 items)   < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  05-20-2009, 11:23 AM 595656 in reply to 595258

Re: ROBOT Dosent make the price!!

Well, I cant see paying 800pt for something that should have been included in the game, They only had two game types when it came out and now you want me to pay for game content because you were running short on time and didn't include it. I also agree that Felix is not too bright. HWs is a good game but that price is going to have to come down before I buy. Sorry ROBOT. Peace out
  •  05-20-2009, 11:52 AM 595676 in reply to 595656

They might set the price but the developers set what you get for it. I think the new game modes are great but they are not really new content, rather different ways of experiencing it.

With the wisdom of retrospect, it probably would have been a better move to give this away free as part of the patch to nurture the playing community and seal their loyalty rather than make them feel negatively about it. Then, by all means charge the 800+ for a new set of maps for each game mode which has undeniable value as 'Content'.

I am surprised MS did not advise Robot on this before making the decision.

•  05-20-2009, 1:21 PM 595765 in reply to 595676

This is probably a losing effort, but to be clear:

MS asked us to make some DLC.  We chose to do that.  We made a proposal back to them with what the DLC contents would be.  After some back and forth, they agreed.  They set the price.  They alone control this.  HW is a MS franchise and they have guidelines for how much stuff costs.  That said, yes, we knew what the price would be.

Personally, I think the price is fair.  It's clear that you guys do not (overall).  We can disagree on that, particularly since no one is forcing you to buy it:)  It's worth pointing out that map packs are easy to figure out.  They're easy to make.  They're especially easy to price.  Game modes for a strategy game on the console are less clear-cut.  We knew there would be some consternation over the modes coming out as the first pack, but we thought it was something that would be very popular.  Time will tell.  If there was a mistake made with the pricing, then I'm confident that will bubble up in the pricing analysis.

Overall, the based on what folks are playing right now, I'd say a) the DLC is popular and b) the DLC is doing its "job" in refreshing the feel/community for the game. Someone made the comparison to Horse Armor.  That's an ironic comparison given that, to date, the Horse Armor remains in the top 5 or top 10 "most purchased DLC items" (at least based on the last numbers I saw).

Anyhow, we (and MS, I imagine) have clearly got the feedback on the pricing.

dave

Dave Pottinger
    Lead Designer, Halo Wars
  •  05-20-2009, 1:28 PM 595773 in reply to 595765

godgib:

MS asked us to make some DLC.  We chose to do that.  We made a proposal back to them with what the DLC contents would be.  After some back and forth, they agreed.  They set the price.  They alone control this.  HW is a MS franchise and they have guidelines for how much stuff costs.  That said, yes, we knew what the price would be.

Personally, I think the price is fair.  It's clear that you guys do not (overall).  We can disagree on that, particularly since no one is forcing you to buy it:)  It's worth pointing out that map packs are easy to figure out.  They're easy to make.  They're especially easy to price.  Game modes for a strategy game on the console are less clear-cut.  We knew there would be some consternation over the modes coming out as the first pack, but we thought it was something that would be very popular.  Time will tell.  If there was a mistake made with the pricing, then I'm confident that will bubble up in the pricing analysis.

Overall, the based on what folks are playing right now, I'd say a) the DLC is popular and b) the DLC is doing its "job" in refreshing the feel/community for the game. Someone made the comparison to Horse Armor.  That's an ironic comparison given that, to date, the Horse Armor remains in the top 5 or top 10 "most purchased DLC items" (at least based on the last numbers I saw).

dave

THANK YOU! You're right, we disagree on the pricing, but I'm very glad to at least know your stance on the issue. Thanks for the feedback... on our feedback.

Dave Pottinger: 800 points?! That was never a condition of our agreement!
    Microsoft Lackey: Perhaps you think you are being treated unfairly?
    Dave Pottinger: No.
    Microsoft Lackey: Good. It would be unfortunate if I had to leave a garrison here.
  •  05-20-2009, 2:20 PM 595841 in reply to 595765

godgib:

dave

yeah like the kid before me said, big props for "stepping up to the mic" about things. that said in a slightly off topic comment how do you guys actually deal with, or plan to deal with these sort of rifts in the community over pricing or gameplay or any other variety of topics. it seems that in many cases you will always be stuck in a catch 22 where no matter what you say or what you choose to do, your never going to make everyone happy and will always catch flak for anything, good or bad. do you guys have to draw straws and the loser has to deal with us? 

at least in dealing with this entire issue on the forums right now you did bring up one great point, that its not easy to come up with a pricing for an rts game on a console. then again until now there really hasn't been any great rts games on consoles worth getting, let alone getting dlc for.  (now with that said i must go, suddenly i have this brown smudge on my nose i have to go wash off)

•  05-20-2009, 2:27 PM 595852 in reply to 595007

erickyboo:

So the indian kids make the shoes and Footlocker sells them for 60$ It's the Indian kid's fault? Felix use your head.

Wow, you just bitchowned people whining in this thread. Kudos.

•  05-20-2009, 2:32 PM 595858 in reply to 595852

Adamzzz:
    erickyboo:

So the indian kids make the shoes and Footlocker sells them for 60$ It's the Indian kid's fault? Felix use your head.

not really, i mean the kids should just unionize, hell it happened in basketball, the greatest sports documentary ever there's no reason it couldn't be done, then it would be those kid's fault!

•  05-20-2009, 2:33 PM 595859 in reply to 595852

Adamzzz:
    erickyboo:

My pleasure, and thank you Dave P.

The bots of Robot Entertainment - a collection of spare parts, charred circuit boards, and loose wiring - are still functional long past our planned obsolescence date. Our output includes the Age of Empires™ series and Halo Wars for Xbox 360™. From the sockets of our brightly-colored pods, sustained by the warm healing glow of our monitors, we exist only to serve humanity - or at least, to create entertainment experiences that will lull you into a slack-jawed stupor so that we may take our rightful place as your supreme overlords. Welcome!

01001001 00100000 01101100 01101111 01110110 01100101 00100000 01100001 01110110 01100001 01110100 01100001 01110010 01110011 00100001 00100001 00100001 00100001
  •  05-20-2009, 2:36 PM 595861 in reply to 595858

litaljohn:
    Adamzzz:
    erickyboo:

not really, i mean the kids should just unionize, hell it happened in basketball, the greatest sports documentary ever there's no reason it couldn't be done, then it would be those kid's fault!

What?

•  05-20-2009, 2:55 PM 595881 in reply to 595852

Adamzzz:
    erickyboo:

No, as that wasn't what I meant.  I know MS sets the price, and Robot makes the DLC.  What I meant I was that they made useless that we paid for.  Yes, we didn't have to buy the DLC, but wanting to see what it played like is what we jumped into without thinking. 

The gametypes were not worth $10

MY POST COUNT IS OVER 9,000!!!
    Bow before me mortals!
    banned, for no good reason. I will be back though, and I intend to kick some serious ass...
  •  05-20-2009, 3:01 PM 595892 in reply to 595765

godgib:

dave

It was an honorable thing to do to stand out and clear up things for the fans. I'm glad that you hear our feedback and will discuss with Microsoft about it. I have to disagree with you with the fairness of the price though. That kind of content should have been free or extremely cheap. Horse armor is known as the one of the biggest rip offs in the history of DLC so I wouldn't take that comparison as a compliment (even though you were joking).

Anyway, I have been enjoying your game so far and thank you for that. I was hoping that I would have been able to enjoy this DLC as well but unfortunately the pricepoint was way too high for me.

•  05-20-2009, 3:18 PM 595919 in reply to 595892

Stammy:

godgib:

dave

It was an honorable thing to do to stand out and clear up things for the fans. I'm glad that you hear our feedback and will discuss with Microsoft about it. I have to disagree with you with the fairness of the price though. That kind of content should have been free or extremely cheap. Horse armor is known as the one of the biggest rip offs in the history of DLC so I wouldn't take that comparison as a compliment (even though you were joking).

Anyway, I have been enjoying your game so far and thank you for that. I was hoping that I would have been able to enjoy this DLC as well but unfortunately the pricepoint was way too high for me.

same, i have ,quite literally, a sum total of fifteen dollars right now. spending that on dlc of any sort would be a woeful mix up of my priorities  

[CENTER][IMG]http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isgreen.jpg[/IMG]

"The knowledge, it fills me! It is neat"--Gir
    gamertag: pappernackles
  •  05-20-2009, 3:30 PM 595935 in reply to 595861

Adamzzz:
    litaljohn:
    Adamzzz:
    erickyboo:

What?

i dunno i wanted to feel important and throw in a comment, on sedatives and watching basketball i thought it would tie in, but alas i was psyched out, crap im like the squeak of the forums........ 
  •  05-20-2009, 4:13 PM 595992 in reply to 595935

OK ROBOT has no control over the pricing of halowars content. They only make the stuff HAloWars is owned by the all powerful Microsoft. Stop complaining! Look the price probably wont stay high for very long. However it is a good financial move by Microsoft. They sell it spendy now, some people may buy it, however regardless if it is bought or not the DLC keep up the hype about halo wars.
    {The Forgotten Fleet} New FF Read it! Or your kidney will fail!
  •  05-20-2009, 4:20 PM 596001 in reply to 595656

BIGDADDY181: I also agree that Felix is not too bright.

Well he is much brighter then you since you have only been here for a short while.

On topic -

thank you for telling us about who sets the cost of DLC for the games we play. Do you now if MS might chagen anything or are they just gonna kept going on with high costing DLC for this game?

" I stay here until all others have gone. I will make sure I am the last one to be here. And when I am, I shall make a thread. A memorial thread. And I shall leave these forums behind. " - Offensive Bias
Page 2 of 3 (36 items)   < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML