The Covenant is OP thread

Last post 12-11-2010, 8:51 PM by Operation. 2092 replies.
Page 2 of 140 (2,093 items)   < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-19-2009, 1:09 AM 514743 in reply to 514740

Re: The Covenant is OP thread

ArbiterSpartan:
    FootlongKhan:

Cookie Krisp:I kinda wish they would take the heros out of the picture completely. Instead of getting a free hero at the beginning, make it so you are forced to buy it instead.

A good idea.

Not a good idea because that would make the Warthog rushes that much more effective.  You have no leader to defend for your base and their leader powers are pretty useless till upgraded and in the beginning of the game where you have little to no resources to use their leader powers anyway.

Hogs will be nerfed.  I doubt Robot would let them slip by untouched.  Those are the 2 main problems in the game.

GT: Skynnee/FootlongKhan
    Faction: RandomAll
    Highest 1v1 Standard Rank: 17
  •  03-19-2009, 1:11 AM 514745 in reply to 514677

xsubtownerx:Free unit travel is just so unfair. There. I said it.

There are things here to keep the game balanced. Don't cry about the unit travel. I'd give my left arm (maybe) for a disruption bomb, 3 units that don't count against my pop, faster and useful units like warthogs (I find the Covenant kinda slow,

and the fact that UNSC leaders 4 bonuses. They get two good units (one of them uber, the other just useful out of the main firebase), a leader power, and an economy bonus. I get one good unit, and a bonus unit out of my central base, whoopie lol. 

I seriously think the game is BALANCED, and people just cry about what they lose to.  

"Let's remind the Rebellion what war is all about."
    -Grand Admiral Thrawn
  •  03-19-2009, 1:12 AM 514750 in reply to 514741

ArbiterSpartan:
    envyEye:

Aloysius:Post in here if you think the Covenant is OP, and why, and what you think should be done about it! I will be combining threads that pop up into this one.

...I don't mean to be rude here...but what in the world are you talking about? I see everyone winning with the UNSC. All the human people come here complaining about the strategies that they don't want to learn how to fight. Please, please, please don't nerf the Covenant! Most people play the UNSC, and the UNSC wins most games. Those of us who play the Covenant take GREAT PRIDE in stepping outside the box and winning with a civilization that we think is colorful, interesting, and underused.

Please don't be a victim of all the kids coming in here complaining. They are just here so that you will pay attention to their crying and they can have easier wins when you move things more in their favor. I ask you to think long and hard before you change anything.

And I thought the UNSC was in the lead? Like 65% to 35% Covenant? So what in the world are you asking about with the Covenant being OP? I died a little inside when I saw a moderator posting this. 

I myself am a Covey player, and i am with you all the way. :(   Srry for double posting.

It says you have 117 posts.... o.O 

-Grand Admiral Thrawn
  •  03-19-2009, 1:25 AM 514764 in reply to 514735

envyEye:

And I thought the UNSC was in the lead? Like 65% to 35% Covenant? So what in the world are you asking about with the Covenant being OP? I died a little inside when I saw a moderator posting this. 

You fail at maths.  It works like this:

66% of people play UNSC, 34% play Covie.  65% TOTAL wins are by UNSC, 35% are covie.  Proportionally, covie wins more games then UNSC.  To put it another way, covie has about a 53% win percentage and UNSC has a 47%.

Also, the reason a developer posted this is for feedback reasons, that should have been fairly obvious.

•  03-19-2009, 1:32 AM 514768 in reply to 514764

Rankith:
    envyEye:

66% of people play UNSC, 34% play Covie.  65% TOTAL wins are by UNSC, 35% are covie.  Proportionally, covie wins more games then UNSC.  To put it another way, covie has about a 53% win percentage and UNSC has a 47%.

Also, the reason a developer posted this is for feedback reasons, that should have been fairly obvious.

That's fine. I misread the stats page. Why are 53% and 47% so alarming? If you would like to properly defend this thread, it should be named something like "Propose changes to the UNSC." OP stands for Overpowered, implying that there is an extreme problem that needs immediate changing. I feel like this thread is more geared towards saying

"Look 1% of the kids actually playing this game who troll the forums and cry! We are paying attention to your small, miserable, minoritic selves!" Yeah, I made up a word in there. I'm ok with it. 

-Grand Admiral Thrawn
  •  03-19-2009, 1:58 AM 514788 in reply to 514664

shield generators, to even it out, the UNSC could have Steel Plants to make the armor on that base twice as durable; yes it could be stackable like the shield generator 

If you need someone to play with, send a message to Fr0sty29.
    My only Gamertag is WDL19...

My Bio has a prize for you.
  •  03-19-2009, 3:20 AM 514843 in reply to 514788

Yeah and lets give the covenent super units =).

ive said it one thousand times

make temple cost 300 make leader cost 200 first time, increasing by 200 every time capped at 1k or 1.2k. This would balance the leaders!!! 

Shield upgrade for wraiths seems perhaps a bit too good idk

I'd Mac that!

Make temple 300, leader costs 200, increasing 200 with every death capped at 1000>my amazing balance suggestion which is never commented on goddamn you all!!!
  •  03-19-2009, 3:25 AM 514846 in reply to 514764

Rankith:
    envyEye:

It seems that i have a new apprentice... MUHAHAHAHAHAHA

Anyways, i think that the covenant shouldnt get their  leader unit for free, But yes, it would hurt them vs hogrushes. to combat this, maybe the hero should come out instantly, or at a reduced build time for the first time its being built?

•  03-19-2009, 3:27 AM 514848 in reply to 514788

WDL19:

shield generators, to even it out, the UNSC could have Steel Plants to make the armor on that base twice as durable; yes it could be stackable like the shield generator 

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! the unsc should NOT get a sheild gen counter! no way! It works like this: the unsc's main building gets more defense every building it has attatched to it. The covenant base does too, i think, but not to the degree that the unsc's does. PLUS we have to waste a WHOLE base slot on the sheild gen!

•  03-19-2009, 3:29 AM 514849 in reply to 514788

The Covenant only have two issues as far as I can tell;

A) The UNSC has no hard counters to Heros. Given, this was probably done on purpose in order to make sure Hero weren't trivialized. I can understand this from a development point of view. However, from a balance perspective, RTS has to have hard counter to everything, otherwise tthe game itself becomes trivialized. The simple answer would be to merely lower the cooldown on the Disruption Bomb. It has to at least MATCH the production rate of a Leader. By doing this, Arbiters with Rage could always be dealt with at a reasonable cost and effort. Yes, it will mean that Leader Powers will be used less, but by the same token, the UNSC player will be using Disruption Bombs more, thus meaning he will be less able to use his other Spirit of Fire powers as well.

By doing this, you perserve the usefulness of the Heros, yet make them containable. They will still be able to harrass, and act as a rally for your Grav Lift. They will still be able to cause massive damage when the UNSC player is short on supplies, between Distruption Bombs or not paying attention. You can also use the Hero skillfully to avoid Distruption Bombs, and still cause major damage. All this change would do would make it so that there is more tactics, as UNSC players would have to manage there economies and powers better, and Covenant will have to micro their Heros more.

B) Hellbringers do not run fast enough to keep up with Jackals and Heros. Close ranged units need one of two things to be viable; toughness or speed. Although Hellbringers can be upgraded to move faster, they are not fast enough to close the distance to compete with Jackals, nor cause signifcant pressure to Heros. Jackals can spread out, kite and focus fire Hellbringers to thin their numbers signifcantly before they even start taking damage. This will mean mainly favourable outcomes for the Jackals. Heros move much fast than Hellbringers, thus, a focused player can avoid damage completely while still acting as a Grav Lift point, keeping the rush going.

If the Hellbringer isn't useful agianst the two most significant infantry a player is going to encounter, why would a player build them? Grunts and Hunters can both be fought effectively with Marines, which are far more flexible units. By making the Hellbringer run too slow, you've made the unit unable to fufill its use. Good players WILL use mirco to their advantage, thus the devs NEED to compensate for it.
  •  03-19-2009, 3:56 AM 514858 in reply to 514849

Make flamers more effective. This will help with leader rushes a ton.

Leaders coming out at the start is fine. And messing with this at all will just make the covey way too weak at the start of the game and warthog rushes will own them. And then you have to nerf warthogs. Then you'll have to buff/nerf something else because warthogs are weaker.

It's way more simple to just make it a little easier for UNSC to fend off those covey rushes.

The only thing I would change about the covey is

Arby gets less health when he kills a unit.

Arby is easier to attack when hes flying around the screen.

Arby is a tiny less effective against anti infantry units/anti infantry get a bigger buff when attacking him. He just eats anti infantry for breakfast. It's just not good at this point.

Prophet moves a little slower. Hes just too hard to take out. You pretty much HAVE to build hogs and pray that his beam and/or his backup don't kill your only unit that can kill him. Or else he just runs off and gets his shields back.

But really, these forums 99.99% of the time going to give you horrible advice on how to balance this game. You should really just contact the top 100 players and have them help you balance the game since they know it the best and are the most skilled.

Please god don't nerf this game into oblivion and make it more for 12 year olds like every other game seems to do.

Thanks and good luck.

<3 Halo Wars

When I say GG it doesn't mean Good Game.
    It means Get Good.
  •  03-19-2009, 4:03 AM 514862 in reply to 514848

insectwolf:

PLUS we have to waste a WHOLE base slot on the shield gen!

By the same token though, Covenant already has more available slots because 1 Temple satisfy all Tech requirements, while a UNSC player must find room for 2+ reactors. So its not really a "waste".

However, I think the Shield Gen was perfectly balanced by weaker buildings. A Covenant can choose a stronger economy, defense or production speed in exchange for an overall weaker base.
  •  03-19-2009, 5:24 AM 514887 in reply to 514862

Letting hellbringers use their flashbang on heros would really, really be awesome.  You could micro it right and catch up and kill the heros if you had enough flamers then.  At the least, make it snare heros.  And if yo umust, give it diminishing returns so you cant chain immobilize the hero if you have like 10 flamers or something.  It would just be REALLY nice to have an effective catch up method.
  •  03-19-2009, 6:37 AM 514917 in reply to 514743

Whas wrong with Hogs? easily countered

I dont think Covi need changing at all but it might not be a bad idea giving them some super units like zero kingdom said, might even out the late game a bit which is where they lack.

•  03-19-2009, 6:47 AM 514924 in reply to 514736

envyEye:

Aloysius:Post in here if you think the Covenant is OP, and why, and what you think should be done about it! I will be combining threads that pop up into this one.

...I don't mean to be rude here...but what in the world are you talking about? I see everyone winning with the UNSC. All the human people come here complaining about the strategies that they don't want to learn how to fight. Please, please, please don't nerf the Covenant! Most people play the UNSC, and the UNSC wins most games. Those of us who play the Covenant take GREAT PRIDE in stepping outside the box and winning with a civilization that we think is colorful, interesting, and underused.

Please don't be a victim of all the kids coming in here complaining. They are just here so that you will pay attention to their crying and they can have easier wins when you move things more in their favor. I ask you to think long and hard before you change anything.

Now thats a legend.

Agreed 100%

"Abiter,the humans makig cobras,they knew all along that we're making Wraiths"
    "Excellent,make the bath hot my rage is not fully upgraded yet"
Page 2 of 140 (2,093 items)   < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
View as RSS news feed in XML