(Spoiler Alert!) Halo: Reach reference to Halo Wars? (Spoiler Alert!)

Last post 10-25-2010, 10:18 AM by AC Matt Klassen. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items)   1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  10-14-2010, 4:11 PM 939976

(Spoiler Alert!) Halo: Reach reference to Halo Wars? (Spoiler Alert!)

So has anyone else noticed the story similarities between the Halo Wars cutscene "Monsters" and the Halo: Reach level "Long Night of Solace?" Here are some I can think of:

Both are about using a FTL drive to destroy a large Covenant Army.

Once ready to arm it, the defending Marines and Spartans must defend it from Covenant forces.

And after repelling the enemy, they find out that the FTL drive was damaged during the fight and it must be detonated manually, causing a member of the strike team to sacrifice himself.

Anyone else think that may of been a reference to Halo Wars?

•  10-14-2010, 6:42 PM 939992 in reply to 939976

nice.

Bungie R Copycatz!

Whenever a thread was hijacked and there were big quote boxes and lots of flame, I was there!

GT: I DFang I

http://averagejoesgames.com
  •  10-15-2010, 12:45 PM 940106 in reply to 939992

Re: nice.

haha. good observation!

in all likelihood, there are only so many ways to 'thin the herd' and Reach developers probably didn't think much of that parallel. but yeah, they just might have ran out of ideas and someone suggested that with one of those deja-vu things going on.

New story out! Halo: Below the Brine
    (it's the best story you're not reading!)
  •  10-15-2010, 12:48 PM 940107 in reply to 940106

I personally think Jorge's death was far more...hurtful, though.

I mean, I just fought with the guy through one of the most epic space battles ever...then the Elites just HAD to nick that core...

=(

Makes it even worse that JUST after Jorge sacrifices himself, an entire fleet comes out of nowhere...

"I have no words that would do justice to the atrocities you commit to the English language, as well as your continued assaults on the concepts of basic literacy and logical reasoning."
  •  10-15-2010, 12:53 PM 940109 in reply to 940107

Veraam:

I mean, I just fought with the guy through one of the most epic space battles ever...then the Elites just HAD to nick that core...

=(

Makes it even worse that JUST after Jorge sacrifices himself, an entire fleet comes out of nowhere...

That was pretty sad TBH, he died thinking he just saved the planet.
    I'm Terri-Trash at best :(
  •  10-15-2010, 4:24 PM 940155 in reply to 940109

l Slayer l:
    Veraam:

=(

That was pretty sad TBH, he died thinking he just saved the planet.

Jorge got what he deserved. He threw you out of the Corvette ship, like you couldn't walk. Bitches get Stitches, he got his.

And Kat got domed! I laughed for like the entire cutscene.

Carter's death was also pretty amusing, tries to act tough after he killed the Elite then gets "assassinated".

Then Noble 6... Is that kid dumb? Had a chance to get on a ship and live but no, the dumb bitch watned to stay back. I mean who didn't think playing that final mission (I forget its name) was the icing on the cake? Basically like Firefight, except, you don't get any points, only 1 life, and you get to watch them curb stomp you once you die.

GT: Restricted NAT23

Controllers gone though since March 3rd, 2009: 739
  •  10-15-2010, 8:03 PM 940292 in reply to 940155

Jorge threw you out because 6 would've probably insisted on him staying anyway.  Noble six had to stay behind from the Autumn because otherwise the cruiser would've gotten to the shipyard and glassed the place unchallenged, before the PoA could even get airborne.
    Whenever a thread was hijacked and there were big quote boxes and lots of flame, I was there!

•  10-15-2010, 8:09 PM 940299 in reply to 940292

DFang:Jorge threw you out because 6 would've probably insisted on him staying anyway.  Noble six had to stay behind from the Autumn because otherwise the cruiser would've gotten to the shipyard and glassed the place unchallenged, before the PoA could even get airborne.

I don't know about you, but I was a reasonable Noble 6, I would've gladly walked off the ship, throwing me off just seemd so unnecessary.

Not to mention he didn't even look where he hurled you out into, what if Reach wasn't below you? Jorge would've had some 'splainin' to do.

GT: Restricted NAT23

Controllers gone though since March 3rd, 2009: 739
  •  10-15-2010, 8:34 PM 940339 in reply to 940299

He would still be dead and no one left to 'splain :|  I wanna see what would happen if you actually never let the reactor take a single shot.

"...But the timer is fired.  I'll have to set it off manually."

"Stop faking you douchebag we know you're just tired of shooting grunts!" 

•  10-22-2010, 6:11 PM 942576 in reply to 940339

When I saw that FTL drive I tought of halo wars.

01001001 00100000 01101100 01101111 01110110 01100101 00100000 01100001 01110110 01100001 01110100 01100001 01110010 01110011 00100001 00100001 00100001 00100001
  •  10-23-2010, 12:45 AM 942652 in reply to 939976

Re: (Spoiler Alert!) Halo: Reach reference to Halo Wars? (Spoiler Alert!)

I'm pretty sure the FTL drive thing was used on Halo 1 to make the ring inoperable. In Halo 2 the same strategy is used, for the same reason. Cortana proposes the plan, and comments "Not the most original plan, but at least we know it works." Before Halo this strategy was used by Star Trek several times. The crew of various versions of the NCC-1701 determined that they would need a really big explosion, and that they would need to eject the warp-core to accomplish this.

I'm personally sick of seeing this in Sci-fi. I'd like to think that in the future they still know how to make bombs. It's kind of silly really. Imagine the crew of a tank out on the battlefield.

Tank driver: We Need more firepower!

Tank gunner: Throw the engine at them!!

Tank Captain: GREAT IDEA!! It's really heavy!! That would hurt! We should throw the gas tank too! It might explode or splash some burning fuel on them!

Seriously.... weak.

•  10-23-2010, 1:59 PM 942849 in reply to 942652

Halo 1, he set off all the reactors in the PoA, not the one drive specifically used for transport.  Halo 2, the nothing was asploded :(

•  10-23-2010, 5:55 PM 942971 in reply to 942849

Umm, O.K.

I'm not sure how this brilliant flash of insight changes anything... but thank you for your input.

I've noticed your tendancy to share your genius through-out this forum. Thank you for reminding me of your superiority, sir.

I didn't mean to get out of line.

I'd call you on the things I believe you are incorrect on. But I think you'd probably just enjoy the argument.

Momma told me not to feed trolls. 

•  10-23-2010, 6:11 PM 942980 in reply to 942971

Umm, O.K.

I respect your attempt at infuriating me into a long wall of text.

Bonus points for well placed sarcasm though. 

•  10-24-2010, 11:45 PM 943506 in reply to 942980

Master Cheif left Cortana behind in Halo 2 to detonate the FTL drive if need be.

Also, Jorge didn't detonate an FTL drive, he used the SFTE to create a slipspace rupture that transported the middle of the Corvette to god knows where.

I actually groaned a little when I was playing Halo Wars and they brought up detonating a FTL drive. I was like, don't they have Nukes in the future?

Page 1 of 2 (17 items)   1 2 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML