Why is Halo Wars 2 a no no?

Last post 10-24-2010, 3:50 PM by DFang. 11 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  09-11-2010, 4:57 PM 932970

Why is Halo Wars 2 a no no?

Ok I am not an idiot or a wide eyed fanboy, I know Halo Wars 2 isnt coming.

I want to know why though?

Let me explain my thinking.

It sold well, not fantastically but at last count it had hit 1.9 million physical sales, it apparently did quite well in digital sales so call it 2 million.

It reviewed very well with its metacritic still being above 80 last time I checked.

Its still played online, just checked now and 11,000 people are playing online matches.

Its DLC sold moderately well.

Although Ensemble disbanded alot of the team were taken in by Microsoft game studios (who own the rights to Halo Wars).

Oh and the story ends on a cliffhanger.

So if I game that sells millions, reviewed well, set up a sequel with its ending an cheeky achievement and is still played online two years on cannot garner a sequel I want to genuinly know why ****lol.

•  09-12-2010, 3:58 PM 933303 in reply to 932970

Re: Why is Halo Wars 2 a no no?

chunkysatsuma89:

Ok I am not an idiot or a wide eyed fanboy, I know Halo Wars 2 isnt coming.

I want to know why though?

Let me explain my thinking.

It sold well, not fantastically but at last count it had hit 1.9 million physical sales, it apparently did quite well in digital sales so call it 2 million.

Digital sales? 

It reviewed very well with its metacritic still being above 80 last time I checked.

:) 

Its still played online, just checked now and 11,000 people are playing online matches.

Its DLC sold moderately well.

overpriced though 

Although Ensemble disbanded alot of the team were taken in by Microsoft game studios (who own the rights to Halo Wars).

M$ game studios is a publisher, not a real studio 

Oh and the story ends on a cliffhanger.

So if I game that sells millions, reviewed well, set up a sequel with its ending an cheeky achievement and is still played online two years on cannot garner a sequel I want to genuinly know why ****lol.

No producers. 

Whenever a thread was hijacked and there were big quote boxes and lots of flame, I was there!

GT: I DFang I

http://averagejoesgames.com
  •  09-12-2010, 4:01 PM 933307 in reply to 933303

DFang:No producers. 

Eventually there will be though.

GT: space fire
    Leaders:Brute, Forge
    Front Page 1v1
    #1 2v2 Reinforcements Unarranged
  •  09-12-2010, 4:45 PM 933322 in reply to 933307

Because MS is still sore over Bungie leaving them for someone else.
    www.averagejoesgames.com
    ^^^The Halo Wars forums may fall, but let's hope the AJ's never do!

Legit TS 0 in 1v1
  •  09-12-2010, 5:07 PM 933327 in reply to 933307

spacefire:

DFang:No producers. 

Eventually there will be though.

M$ isn't going to trust their super cow in the hands of a new producer, and no other producer would do it because they know they'll get railed by us for every mistake they make.
    Whenever a thread was hijacked and there were big quote boxes and lots of flame, I was there!

•  10-02-2010, 7:11 PM 937358 in reply to 933327

Is this why the halo wars demo (To DFang) is different than the actual Halo Wars game?
  •  10-02-2010, 7:55 PM 937368 in reply to 937358

??

The halo wars demo was the exact same as the final game, except it was just cut short a bit... ?

Oh, and welcome to the forums! 

•  10-03-2010, 9:09 AM 937455 in reply to 937368

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvLXCalUxa0
  •  10-03-2010, 12:01 PM 937465 in reply to 937455

thats not the demo that came out a long time before the game did. Even Halo 1's demo was way different...
    GT: ADI1096
    1v1 UA: 31 TS
    2v2 UA: 26 TS
    3v3 UA: 34 TS
    Got my XBOX BACK FROM TEXAS W00T!!!
  •  10-03-2010, 12:03 PM 937466 in reply to 937455

CreamerCan:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvLXCalUxa0
    That's the old E3 07 thing.

•  10-24-2010, 2:10 PM 943174 in reply to 937466

Who says it won't happen eventually? They still have the rights. What I'm thinking is that they may wait for the next gen of consoles.

Halo Wars is an exception. I'm pretty sure, (someone feel free to fact check me on this), that most other console RTS games have done poorly, including Tom Clancy's Endwar and the command and conquer games. Maybe I'm incredibly wrong and they are doing well, but my impression was that they didn't have much online support.

Halo Wars succeeded for two reasons.

1) It belongs to the Halo franchise and therefore received immediate attention and support.

2) (And more importantly) It striped down the RTS gameplay so that it worked smoothly on CONSOLES. Not to sound like a compy fanboy (I'm not. Specifically because I'd much rather shell out 400 to 500 dollars every five years than spend THOUSANDS on a computer which requires constant maintenance) but a mouse and keyboard is a LOT better interface for a strategy game than a controller.

They succeeded because they simplified the experience, but still gave it enough depth. Sure, it's no Starcraft.  But that's like saying a game of Risk is no CIV V. No **** Sherlock. I have Starcraft II on my computer and I don't play it. Partly because my computer is too crapy to function online, but mostly because the game has so much depth that I don't have the time to master it. Neither do my friends. (I'm a senior and I have TWO THESES. OH GOD. TWO THESES. SO.... MUCH.... WRITING.){Why do you think I'm posting in this forum: PROCRASTINATION!}

Halo Wars is great because it is like chess. The rules are fairly simple, but the strategy has emergent complexity. Just like no two games of chess are the same, no two games of HW are the same. But the game is simple enough to shift production and adapt on the fly, which is a lot harder to do in Starcraft.

Ultimately I think they might wait off until they have a way to produce another very polished experience, with perhaps a little more depth. 

Halo Wars proved that there is a market for console RTS games, why abandon a successful franchise? A console version of StarCraft or WarCraft would be a horrendous abomination.

Well... unless they added keyboards and mice to the next gen xbox, but then it would essentially be a computer game... on a much more standardized, reliable, and cheap machine.

Come to think of it, if MS wanted to, it could make the next gen Xbox, (in addition to being a standard console platform), an essentially cheap and reliable platform for computer games for those who don't want to bother with expensive computers. After all, THEY ARE MICROSOFT. AND THEY HAVE BEEN SAYING THAT THEY WANT THE XBOX TO OPERATE MORE LIKE A COMPUTER.

If they made it affordable, I would buy the mouse and keyboard in order to play computer games on my Xbox. I feel like I miss out because of my crappy compy. Plus I would be able to play on Xbox live, which is bound to be superior to almost all other computer servers.

They could package it as the "Xbox Hybrid" service. You put a windows operating system capable of playing compy games on the xbox, and then offer people an option to pay extra for Xbox live on their computer games.

There. How's that for Pie-In-The-Sky thinking? The next Halo wars could use a mouse and keyboard on Xbox-live.

And pigs will fly. Republicans will agree to health care reform. There will be peace in the middle east. Apple will make the iPhone available on any coverage you want, with a monthly service rate of five dollars. Matt Groening will make more shows like Futurama. There will be decisions on *** marriage, abortion, and marijuana that everyone agrees with. And Bungie will sign a contract with Microsoft to make 10 more Halo games.

What is happiness but the feeling of power increasing, and obstacles being overcome? -Nietzsche
  •  10-24-2010, 3:50 PM 943239 in reply to 943174

First off, M$ has the rights, not Bungie.  If Bungie wants to make more halo, then M$ needs to approve.

1) true, but the boy who cried wolf. Won't work twice 

2) True, but this could be done with any existing console RTS, so it's no big deal.

Oh, and:

1) Welcome to the forums!

2)Please don't necro. 

View as RSS news feed in XML