A Good 2v2 Strategy

Last post 06-09-2009, 7:10 AM by Green Phantom X. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  06-09-2009, 1:04 AM 617621

A Good 2v2 Strategy

Tonight I was playing 2v2 with a friend of mine who uses the Arbiter, I mainly play as Forge. Together we devised a strategy that worked extremely well against the people we played.

Basically I, as Forge, would build Cobras and Wolverines, and my buddy, as Arby would make Jackals and Hunters. We found that using this strategy ended up with us having a counter for anything the other team could throw at us. I would use my Cobras to pound enemy bases from a distance which would force them to send their units out. My friend used his Hunters and Jackals to shield my Cobras and kill leaders, infantry, and vehicles. I placed my wolverines in the back in case there were enemy aircraft.

Using this we took out an Anders/Arbiter team, a Cutter/Prophet team, and a Forge/Forge team. The Forge/Forge team gave us some trouble because they kept sending tanks our way but eventually I went heavy on Cobras and we were able to force them back and eventually beat them. This strategy also results in large point totals for both players.

Like any long term strategy it's vulnerable to a rush, but having the Arbiter helps to deter Warthogs and Prophets. Also, since I gather a large amount of boxes I am able to finance a few turrets if scouting reveals a likely rush, as happened in the Cutter/Prophet matchup.

I'm not the best player nor do I pretend to be, feel free to offer constructive criticism of our strategy. Linked below are the games where we used this.

http://www.halowars.com/stats/StatsGame.aspx?Id=91177137-8314-2007-3860-000000000000

http://www.halowars.com/stats/StatsGame.aspx?Id=12446811-0051-2749-5248-000000000000

http://www.halowars.com/stats/StatsGame.aspx?Id=98924502-8123-5572-0900-000000000000

And he's watchin' us all with the eye...
  •  06-09-2009, 1:26 AM 617629 in reply to 617621

Re: A Good 2v2 Strategy

Do you have turrets up? you really should put them up because for the first 5mins of the game, your relying on the Arby to protect you

←★→ sG I Turtle ←★→

add me on SC2:
    sGi
  •  06-09-2009, 1:39 AM 617634 in reply to 617629

I scout pretty heavily for the first few minutes, if I see warthogs, or an abundance of SPs/ Warehouses I would buy 2 turrets and hold off on T3 for a minute or so.
  •  06-09-2009, 2:58 AM 617650 in reply to 617634

if you got BC rushed you would lose.

if you got double arbiter rushed you would lose.

if you got 3:00 min tank rushed you would lose.

if you double PoR rushed you would lose.

If you got hog and prophet rushed you would lose.

if you got hog and BC rushed you would lose.

if you got rushed by ANYTHING you would lose, and all good 2 v 2 players rush, so your strat will only beat fine gentlemen.

the combos you have beaten have been very bad combos,(anything with cutter is ) so again you have been lucky so far. Because any good rush would completely destroy this.

... imo but i have won, 251 games out of 303. :)

you should try having the arby player rush and harass 1 of your opponents(prefrably a mid/late game leader like forge or cutter.

•  06-09-2009, 3:21 AM 617653 in reply to 617650

What strategy doesn't get completely raped by a good rush? I never stated that you can't change gears and produce units or turrets to counter a rush. I always hog boxes and scout heavy. If we encountered opponents who were rushing, we wouldn't stick to this, we would change to our counter-rush strat.

I'm not saying that rushing is OP, it definitely has a role in any RTS, I'm just saying that there is more to a match than the first 5 minutes.

•  06-09-2009, 5:07 AM 617669 in reply to 617650

Buster Nzl:

if you got BC rushed you would lose.

if you got double arbiter rushed you would lose.

if you got 3:00 min tank rushed you would lose.

if you double PoR rushed you would lose.

If you got hog and prophet rushed you would lose.

if you got hog and BC rushed you would lose.

if you got rushed by ANYTHING you would lose, and all good 2 v 2 players rush, so your strat will only beat fine gentlemen.

the combos you have beaten have been very bad combos,(anything with cutter is ) so again you have been lucky so far. Because any good rush would completely destroy this.

... imo but i have won, 251 games out of 303. :)

you should try having the arby player rush and harass 1 of your opponents(prefrably a mid/late game leader like forge or cutter.

Bit harsh...anyway he already said that he would alter his strategy if his scouts predicted a rush.

Anyway, it seems to me like your strategy might fail if your opponent does vaguely the same thing, maybe with a few differences (like vampires, hunters, scorpions and cobras). But then it would just be a micro(!!!) battle.

Everything is overpowered!!!
  •  06-09-2009, 7:10 AM 617691 in reply to 617621

Guys, pls stop posting "we're making counters to aircraft, vehicles and infantry"- "strats".

These never work against good enemys. It looks good on paper, but this game is about harrassing 1 minute into the game, and building the counters to their units, not just counters to everything.

If the "counters to everything"-strat would work, everyone would use is, and this game would be very repetitve and boring (even more repetitive than now (with gauss spam etc.) -_- )

I got two states of mind, stoned and asleep ...
View as RSS news feed in XML